Having a Nappy Day and the Doghouse.

Sunday.      Today the Gods took pity on me for having spent a day without shopping on Saturday. Away from their normal visit , Team MuJo decided to come and make sure I had a solid lunch.  There wasn’t much debate as they don’t know many Sunday choices in the area. I of course raved about The Springfield that Mike and I had visited a few weeks ago and eaten like Kings. I explained that serving didn’t start until 12.30 but that we could go a little early and get a drink from the bar.  This meant we set off on the five minute journey at 12 of the clock. Much as before the service was great. We got our drinks and sat at a table giving us  fantastic view over the Dee Estuary to the Wirral that appeared to be covered in sunlight.  Dinner, a carvery, was a dream again too. My usual beef was plentiful and delicious and as long as I was sated who cares about anyone else? Yet I couldn’t help but hear praises being uttered over the other plates. After lunch we sat with a coffee and home made shortbread biscuit in the windowed corridor leading to the gym and spa. I didn’t even give entering them a thought.

After lunch I directed them to Flint and my favourite shops purely by accident. I should have said that they loved the decoration in the house and bought me a beautiful throw with poppies on for the settee which just set everything off nicely without overpowering. They were delighted with the effect and left me in a sate of bliss over my lunch as they departed for home. After that I ploughed into my emails like a good chap because I panic when they build up.

Monday.  Today was the day Yvonne has realised that though the Gods had allowed me to eat for the week the day before, I should still go shopping for basics. Since I believe my basics still include cigarettes, who was I to argue. Accordingly Yvonne, Ugo and young Reuben arrived in their chariot about 10 am to carry me off. I may have mentioned that Ugo is no real fan of shopping so his first port of call with Reuben in tow is the Macky D’s while Yvonne and I got on our marks with trolleys. At the off shout we raced into action. Ha, the trolley is a great support but I still have my crutches and they stick out so much it looks like Boudicca’s chariot as the Iceni run down the Roman soldiers. Less and less people get in my way these days. We finished in record time which actually meant less than two hours or two breakfasts in Ugo time. We got through checkout quite well despite my pleading to be allowed to wash pots in the staff canteen to pay the bill. Who knew a few item’s would cost a King’s ransom. The first bit of good news was that Ugo had changed Reuben ( I don’t know if he got a good swap or not) and that he was now fit company for an enclosed space like the car. We headed off for lunch. ( Has anyone else noticed how much food is involved in my blog?) As we sat in the pub ( I was on lime and lemonade honestly) Reuben woke up and I was able to hold him. Unusually he was not his usual happy self and didn’t nod off again in my arms ( Damn that deodorant). After a fair bit of jiggling he did settle a bit and I passed him onto Yvonne while I ate. Holding him had trapped a nerve in my arm and it was agony. I almost couldn’t hold a fork.

Without mentioning that I’d been there the day before we dropped off in Flint for a quick foray into the shops. I had time to buy some chocolates to take into my favourite watering hole for the girls and we enjoyed a coffee. It wasn’t long before we were home again and they had to head off but not before I had another last cuddle with Reuben.

Reuben and Pops                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                               Reuben and Poops

The trouble was for once I wasn’t sorry to see him leave. Here are two pictures to explain why. No1. Reuben and Pops  No2. Reuben and Poops. See that little smile of satisfaction.

Tuesday. I was expecting my nephew David today to carry out his threat of painting my bedroom. To say I’m reluctant to be moved is an understatement but again the heavens intervened and I got a text. David was unable to come because he’d inadvertently put petrol in his wife’s car instead of diesel. Talk about in the doghouse, I could hear him bark from here. It was going to take a while to get someone to clean the tank. I sailed through the day in a haze of relief and happiness, except when I realised I had no excuse to avoid the ironing now.

Wednesday. David arrived this morning ready for work. Quick thinking on my part avoided a two day stint this week due to visitors and so I suggested we do other tasks instead. It was time to dismantle the four poster which to my mind mad the big bedroom look too enclosed and crowded. We marked where I’d like it cut and he set to work with a saw. That part probably took an hour but then the upper parts had to be disassembled and one of the upper stretchers brought down to serve as a headboard. This worked beautifully. He then started staining his cuts to match the colour of the bed before we were able to make the bed up and hoover up the sawdust. The room definitely looks roomier and I was also able toget rid of a book cupboard and a lot of books to his weekly charity car boot sale and to a local charity shop.

David departed and I had time for a little tea before my brother and nephew Matthew arrived for the weekly games. If you can hear me whistling ‘We are the Champions’ by Queen round about now there’s no need for me to explain. Of course I’m going to anyway, I won two games of Balderdash easily which proves what a straight face I can keep when lying through my teeth and sorry Dil, my memory might be defective at this point but I’m sure I won a game of scrabble too. Why wasn’t I gambling? I’ll never know. I absolutely love having them here and we always enjoy a real laugh. They left about 9.30 and it was straight into answering emails till midnight.

Thursday. The Gods hate it when people get too cocky don’t they. Up at 4. am and started emails. I made it to 6.am before suffering an angina attack bad enough to have me scrambling back to bed. I didn’t wake until 8.am. Fish dealt with, tablets etc taken and back to finish emails until MuJo arrived for another visit. I was able to give John a new gift that had arrived for him, a walking stick where the lower half lights up so he can see where he’s going on dark nights. He really lives in the sticks and the nights seem darker there. We went out for an early lunch so he didn’t need the stick. Up to Kassidy’s which you all know I love where I indulged in a roast pork dinner and I even got some pork crackling. The girls got their chocolates and a copy of the latest book ‘Memoirs of a Superior’ which despite having a picture of the cat on the front they naturally thought referred to me. Surprisingly, after lunch we went shopping again. Back to Flint where we bought a few items and I was able to persuade Mu to choose a couple of things for her birthday in November. Then off to Temptations witht the usual bribery for the girls and a coffee. Mu had a chocolate indulgence which looked like Vesuvius on speed. After they got me home and were sure I was OK they headed off. For the rest of the day blah, blah, blah, emails.

Friday. I know I am due to have a visit from someone today to check  the work done on the boiler recently. How idiotic, the work is done, someone has to check oit and then a visit due from someone else soon to see if it needs replacing because it’s about ten years old. Whilst waiting for the engineer I had lunch. I can’t say what I had in case it may incriminate me but it did have tomato sauce on it so there was vegetable. An hour later Mike and Rose arrived. He walked in and asked me if I’d had a message to sat they were five minutes away and to put the kettle on. “No” I said and went to start the drinks. Then I slipped to where my phone was and checked. The message was there so being polite I answered it. ” No problem” I sent, “kettle going on now.” For some reason he wasn’t amused. They were disappointed when they found I’d eaten. So was I when I found they’d come early to take me out for lunch. Guilt ridden I offered to make them lunch, spite driven he accepted.

After lunch they suggested we still had time to go out for a while and since I hadn’t been to Flint for such a long time I accepted. We’d just reached the car when I saw someone with ladders walk past me and go to a neighbour’s. I realised it was the engineer and suggested Mike and Rose go without me. They refused and told me they’d wait with me.( I’m sure he knows where I have a supply of chocolate hidden). By the time the engineer had been and looked at the boiler, checked the loft, the cooker and the gas meter it was too late to go out so we stayed chatting instead.

Saturday. Today was unusually pleasant weatherwise despite forecasts. Mike took me shopping about 8 am but refused to pretend to be disabled so we could race the disabled wheelchairs round the shop. We were home again by 10am and after a coffee decided to go out. I’d given Rose a picture frame last night and promised to take a picture to go in it. My suggestion was a trip to Conway which was accepted. When we got there we all wanted the loo and as I have a ‘Radar’ key I could use the disabled loos close by while they had stairs to contend with. Naturally after draining ourselves the next step is to refuel so it was a coffee stop. From there I suggested a walk round the town walls in order to try a photograph there. What a pillock, there are about a thousand steps ( perhaps 50) and they’re very steep so I got Mike to walk behind me in case I fell. I needed something soft to land on and his head was handy.( It’s OK he won’t have time to read this before he has to leave tomorrow).                                                         DSCF3261

The photos there didn’t turn out too bad. That’s Conway Castle in the background. From there we walked all round Conwy via the walls and stopped on on the Quay for another photo opportunity.                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                        DSCF3264

This one wasn’t bad either. As this is my blog you’ll know food has to be involved somewhere so lunch followed at a Fish and Chippy. We took a gentle walk up the High Street looking  in shops as we headed back to the car when I was poorly again. No point telling anyone so as we were by  a cafe I pleaded for a cuppa. Mike mentioned something about me being a little pleader ( I think) but acceded to my request.

We made it back to the car. It was warm and sunny so I removed my jacket and settled in my seat. Mike deccided to take a scenic route so we headed over the River Conwy to Deganwy and from there to the Great Orme in Llandudno. From the top of the Orme the view is magnificent though we couldn’t see the Isle of Man today. We did see some of the goats for which the Orme is famous. From there to home where I left them to make tea and came to do my emails. For some reason the computer has dug it’s heels in and decided not to work on messages to Australia so I’ve had to deal with the other 147 instead. It’s now 1.17 am and Mike and Rose are long in bed, well Rose is but he’s a little short (Oops, and he’s promised to take me to the doctor’s next week. More comments and it will be for neutering). I’m off to bed so I’ll just leave you with a picture of Reuben as I wish you Good Night or Nos Da and send you Hugs aplenty. Have a Great Weekend.

Happy for Pops


Filed under Uncategorized

36 responses to “Having a Nappy Day and the Doghouse.

  1. David … the last picture on here of your grandson …a star is born … he .. is … gorgeous …. xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx Made me smile :O)

  2. Such wonderful pictures! I’m so glad you shared them.

  3. I will borrow my Discworld alter ego (Ponder Stibbons) for a moment, to point out that the tomato is technically a fruit. So your mystery (I’m going to guess) meat on Friday, was smothered in fruit salad, Uncle 🙂

  4. Love the photos of Reuben and Pops and Reuben and Poops! Didn’t like you feeling poorly, though. Couldn’t be too much coffee, could it???? Take care, David.

    • Dear oh dear, I managed to talk coffee out of suing you for libel then. Ha, generally I only have one coffee a day at breakfast but have tea thereafter when I go out. Maybe I slipped an extra one in yesterday. I can’t blame that for the illness though, I think it’s panic at not doing my emails does that.
      xxx Hugs Galore xxx

  5. Beautiful photos. Absolutely precious. The baby as much as you. (((hugs)))

  6. Reuben has totally stolen the show here – he is THE most squidge-able and divine baby. All your talk of carvery’s and roast dinners is making me A) very homesick for ‘proper’ Sunday lunches and B) very hungry. Oh for some heavenly roast pork and crackling (…..sorry just wiping drool off my chin)
    No more angina attacks please, we need you fit and well and lighting up all of our lives with your great wit and sense of fun. Keep well, David. Lottie xoxox

    • Sorry Lottie, my terrible brain seems to run on the fuel of Roast beef and Yorkshires. I spend more time dribbling than a World Cup squad. I don’t put on a fresh shirt now, I just change the bib. I don’t mean to make you long for food and leave you hungry.
      Thanks for the kind words, Sending you Huge Hugs xxxx

  7. Shouldn’t this blog be called memoirs of a coffee-drinker.?.. Reuben is gorgeous…do hope you start to feel better…

    • Ouch Valerie. You caught me where it hurts. Honestly the weekends are different, I only usually get one coffee a day but I don’t want my friends to go out of business even though they do complain I spoil their diets. Thank you, my grandson is lucky not to take after me in the looks dept.
      xxx Huge Hugs xxx

  8. It’s lucky I”m already cooking dinner or reading about all that food would have been unbearable! I don’t suppose a lettuce passed your lips did it? No, I thought not.
    I swear Reuben is getting more gorgeous by the day! that last one where he’s smiling is just wonderful.
    I’ve noticed emails from Australia to Wales are having issues too. At least 3 didn’t actually wing their way across the either until the next morning. You should have words with whoever is responsible. We are a colony, dammit. Hrumph.
    Happy Sunday from Downunder and lots of hugs. 😀

    • Dare I ask what you’re cooking or would it only make the drooling worse? We used to run coaches to see Swallow Falls a little waterfall not too far away. They run the coach trips to view me slavvering now at the thought of food.
      I saw the three messages that arrived late. Things have gone to pot since they decided t sell off the post office. I think we may have to continue our correspondence with a brand new one line start on each one and hope that mail to and fro the colonies perhaps gets better as it’s lighter in weight for the carrier pigeons.
      Huge and Massive Hugs to you xxxxxxxx

      • Roast pork and an apple salad. 🙂 And yes, I think you may be right about the carrier pigeons. -hugs-

      • No, that still doesn’t sound quite right. What happened to the roast potatoes, boiled or creamed potatoes and I suppose what happened o the veg? I’m a changed man.
        It’s time the pigeons were treated with some kindness before we get arrested for cruelty.
        xxx Hugs Galore xxx

      • No potatoes, sorry. For a couple of years now I’ve been cutting down on the carbs. As I can’t give up white, fluffy bread, I decided I could either have bread as my dinner carb, or one of the others, like potatoes. Potatoes lost. 🙂
        Yes, I’ll start the save the pigeons campaign tonight…if I remember. :/

  9. Aw! David, you need to make enlargements of the photos of you and Reuben for your daughter. What a keeper! All the photos are nice.

    • I will try and find some nice frames for her and print some larger ones off. She can add them to the gallery wall at the top of her stairs.It’s funny, when someone wants the loo in that house it takes a minute to get up the stairs. After the loo it seems to take most people about 5 minutes to get back downstairs again.
      xxx Huge Hugs xxx

  10. Catherine Johnson

    Awh what a cutie! I love castles too and hearing all about your escapades. Take care!

  11. Hi David, I’m back!! So sorry I haven’t commented for so long, but I’ve been reading everything, just wasn’t able to comment. I still love your blog and am loving the weekly day-by-day posts. Also, answering to your question a few posts before, the hugs don’t make me uncomfortable at all, all the opposite!

    It’s great to hear you had a great week, and the photos are marvellous. Reuben is getting cutter and more handsome each day, and I don’t know how it’s possible!! 🙂

    • I missed you I’m glad you’re still enjoying the blog and I’m delighted I can still offer you my Hugs.
      I Reuben is getting cuter he mist be getting it from Ugo or Yvonne cos’ he certainly doesn’t get that from me.
      Massive Hugs xxxxxx

  12. First off, despite reports of you not feeling well, you are looking well – the colourful shirt and waistcoast suit you 🙂 I’m also glad that your appetite for food, beverage, life hasn’t been affected – I’m in awe of your capacity to do so much with so many. The weekly menu you have described has made me hungry but it’s nowhere near dinner time, and it won’t be roast beef or pork with crackling… sadly… remedies by the pic of Reuben, that can only put a smile on my dial 🙂

    • Hi Ella, Lucky for me the picture was taken before I was ill, but even so I think I’d have to be dead a week before it affected my appetite. The only thing I don’t bother with is alcohol and that’s because I get my high from al my friends here.
      Sorry you won’t be getting the roast beef or pork and crackling but at least it gives you something to look forward to.
      Pics of Reuben put a smile on my mush too, he’s as bright as a button.
      xxx Hugs Galore xxx

  13. That smile is so big it wraps around his head! I like the grown in beard on you–one is never too far from a snack with hair that thick. You could hide a whole sandwich in that, or at least a couple fish and chippies. 🙂 Sounds like you had a productive week, written in your best tongue-in-cheek style.

    • I just hope the smile isn’t hiding a big burp. I’m having my beard trimmed so no-on will believe your story about me hiding a sandwich there, you really shouldn’t have given away my secret.
      It was like all weeks a little different and I never seem to get to grips with straight style.
      xxx Sending you Huge Hugs xxx

  14. You weren’t kidding, David…that is some cute baby!

    • Thanks so much Meredith. I got some great photos yesterday of my little handsome chappie. Everytime I see your name reminds me how much I like it, but I wonder how you say it. Here we place emphasis on the ‘ed’ so it’s quite distinctive, Mer ED ith and I’m sure it’s a Welsh name anyway.
      xxx Huge Hugs xxx

      • We Americans like to place our emphasis on the first syllables of most names so here it’s MER e dith. Yes, Meredith is a Welsh name. It’s the only thing about me that’s Welsh, and I’m proud of it! 🙂

        Keep posting pictures of that cutie.

      • Bore da MERedith,, It IS a beautiful name however it’s said. A couple more pictures of Reuben at least on Saturday.
        xxx Massive Hugs xxx

Leave a Reply

Fill in your details below or click an icon to log in:

WordPress.com Logo

You are commenting using your WordPress.com account. Log Out /  Change )

Twitter picture

You are commenting using your Twitter account. Log Out /  Change )

Facebook photo

You are commenting using your Facebook account. Log Out /  Change )

Connecting to %s

This site uses Akismet to reduce spam. Learn how your comment data is processed.