The Quiet Birthday & The Leg Sized Plaster.

Sunday 17th Jan.

Well, I posted the blog around midnight then had a couple of messages to deal with. I was in bed about 12.15 am reading. Lights out 12.45 am for sleep. I was allowed until 2.44 am I think Somnos must be in a bad mood and taking it out on me. I wasn’t downhearted though as there were some wonderful comments on the blog and some nice Birthday wishes. By 5.15 am I was clear and decided to have breakfast and take my meds. When I came back through with my coffee it wasn’t quite 6.00 am and I was yawning. I’d be no good trying to sent anything half intelligent out if I was tired and sleeping on my desk so I lay on the bed. I was gone and stayed gone until 8.45 am. When I woke I wandered through to the lounge to open Joey’s door. I heard Mike have a prolonged coughing fit and I knew it had woken him so I put the kettle on. A few minutes later he came through to the lounge and I gave him his drink and sat next to him. Whoomph I was a way again and for another hour. When I came too, I thought I’d dropped off without doing Mike’s drink and dashed off to make it. He asked me what I was doing as he had a drink already….he’d fallen asleep without drinking it. I was tired all morning and didn’t get to do any work.  I didn’t much want to go out but others had gone to trouble for me. I wandered off to find what I wanted to wear and got dressed.

We left about 11.30 am and arrived about midday. I was glad to see we were the first there. That meant as people arrived we could get their drink orders and then take meal orders so that we could all eat the same time. Not everyone would want a carvery…..I don’t know why not…..but they don’t. It worked fine and we managed to bully everyone into doing it my way so I could pay at the end…except my daughter who is the bane of my life as she hates to lose an argument. She transferred money to my bank which I will need to make sure I repay to her in some way or another doubled. The meal was fine and there was plenty of laughter especially having the children there. My great nephew Rylan who came with his grandma and his Pops. My Great nephew Nathan with his Mum and his Dad, Reuben and his new sister Amelie. There was Yvonne, Ugo and his mother Christina come to see her new granddaughter, my nephew Lee and his wife Jen, my nieces Karen and Jo , my brother Dil and his wife Lynne, Mike and myself. I had lots of cards and gifts which wasn’t necessary but it was nice. Mike paid half the bill at the end and I had to give it him back telling him I’d prepared to have enough cash for the bill and wanted to pay it. Towards the end I wanted to sink into the floor when staff arrived with a cake ( for the sake of safety they had the fire brigade standing by in case they used 65 candles) that had a number 6 and a number 5 candle alight on top to a chorus of Happy Birthday. I just shrunk back in my seat till it was over. I’m glad I don’t have to have any more birthdays like this now.                                                                                                                                                                                                      Reuben helped me blow the candles out and Karen took over the cutting up and dishing of the cake. Eventually it was over and people started to say goodbye. I went round everyone to say thanks for coming then went off to thank the staff who’d made sure it had gone quite smoothly then went outside for a cigarette. I didn’t knnow why I hadn’t thought of it sooner.

It wasn’t too long before we were back home again and I found myself fighting off sleep in my chair. Before I succumbed Mike said he’d make tracks for home. I notice the sneaky’ burger’ did it quickly before I noticed he hadn’t done Ju’s flowers again.He’s getting good at this. I decided I’d do them in the morning. I went through to my room to start work though I wasn’t looking forward to it after missing the morning session. It took me from 3.00 pm to 7.00 pm before I has a break for Beowulf and some tea. I watched Endeavour after that then came back to finish off at 10.00 pm.

Helping with candles.

Helping with candles.

Holding on by a finger.

Holding on by a finger.

Monday 18th Jan.

I was in bed by midnight and reading until my usual 1.00 am Nothing was different about the night except the time of getting up. 5.41 am this morning. It’s a long time since I’ve slept in that long yet I’m still tired today. I went through to the kitchen but decided against breakfast. I just ate a couple of Jaffa Cakes for the sake of the anti-smoking drug, and took my other meds while there. I put the washing machine on then made a coffee to bring through with me and returned to work. I wanted to get as many of last night’s and this mornings messages out of the way.                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                         I didn’t do too well as the morning flood started at 6.10 am as usual.  I worked continuously until 8.45 am then went to unload the washing machine and put the clothes on the airer. I came back to get dressed as I needed to take my prescription request to the chemist. It was while I was getting dressed that I had my first cigarette of the day. I know this is the day I wanted to give up but I think over 3 hours before having one is nothing short of miraculous.

Once back from the chemist I worked until 10.00 am then broke off for Homes Under the Hammer. Joey and I enjoyed it. At 11.00 am though I had to return to work and smoked my second cigarette. At 11.10 am I had a knock on the door and Lis was there to bring a birthday gift. I was so pleased to see her but unfortunately it wasn’t for long as she was to get her grandchildren at lunchtime. Again I returned to work. at 11.25 am the doorbell rang. This time it was Bev returned from her holidays. She came in and once she saw the birthday cards I got a kiss.                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                         We had a good long chat about Christmas, New Year, her holiday, the birth of Amelie and being British, the weather.She stayed until 11.50 am and I had to go and finish the email I’d started before going to see to lunch. It was a corned beef hash today. I think they’ve changed the recipe and it hasn’t improved. I had to drown it in tomato sauce to eat it. I think that’s off my list in future.

At 1.00 pm after Bargain Hunt I returned to work yet again and despite attempts by my face to connect with the keyboard I managed to work until I was clear.That was about 2.20 pm and I went to my chair in the lounge after that intending to fall asleep. There were plenty of little power naps but nothing prolonged, at least not then. At 3.30 pm I went to see if there was more mail that needed dealing  with. There was, and it took me until the Road Trip time to do it so I was only just in time for the programme. I saw the start of it at 4.30 pm and the next thing I knew was the start of Pointless at 5.15 pm. I stuttered a bit in that but was fully awake for Eggheads and Railway Journeys. Next was the celebrity Road Trip and I missed about half of that including all the auction. After that I attempted to watch Medieval Dead and at 9.00 pm decided I’d be better working so came through and caught up again. Joey was still on the mirror when I left the lounge so I had to keep returning to see if he’d gone in his cage before locking up. The little beggar stayed out until almost 10.30 pm. After locking him up, I started on the blog.

All in all it’s been a lovely day and I’m really pleased with the smoking or lack thereof. Each day should be easier.

Tuesday 19th Jan.

We have a return to normal today. Lights out at 1.00 am and up at 2.35 am.I may not be happy about it but at least I know where I stand again after some odd days. After a visit to the loo I signed onto the computer and went to my gmail account. I was happy to see there were some positive comments on my Buthidar post of last night.  it helps to know there are people of a similar mind to me and that they’re people I’m close to, who are special to me. I had cleared the mail by 4.20 am and wondered whether it was worth trying for 40 winks before the 6.10 deluge. I decided to give it a go. Woo Hoo, it was. I slept until 6.43 am.                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                      When I got up I knew the deluge had been but I didn’t care. I have all day. I went through to the kitchen to take my meds and prepare some breakfast. Once I’d eaten and taken the anti-smoking tablet I made a coffee to bring back with me and got stuck in. I worked solidly until 9.45 am then had a break to see to Joey and watch my house programme.

At 11.00 am I returned to work and with a real effort was clear by 11.50 am. I went to start preparing lunch  then sat down to enjoy Bargain Hunt with it. When 1.00 pm came I should have shifted but my bum was glued to my chair and without warning my eyelids went clunk. I slept for half an hour before conscience got the better of me. There had been a little surge in mail and in comments on the blog which was nice but which kept me occupied until 4.20 pm so I was only just in time to see my Antiques Road Trip after apologising to Joey for leaving him in the dark. I watched both my quizzes afterwards then a journey of discovery by train after which came the Celebrity Road Trip. I was going to come through but decided 8.00 pm might be a little early so watched a Star Trek episode instead and came through at 9.00 pm.                                  There was quite a bit of work waiting so I started on that which took me to just 10.25 pm and then I was able to start on the blog.

This is in memory of Glenn Frey guitarist and founder of The Eagles who dies aged 67 on my birthday. RIP Glenn and thanks for the music.

Wednesday 20th Jan.

As you can see from the length of yesterday’s post I was in bed early last night. So early in fact that after my read, the light went out at 12.30 am. I think I slept quickly. 2.00 am came but I pretended to be asleep so it went away. 3.13 am wasn’t taking excuses and just made sure I was awake, blew a raspberry and left. So, a trip to the loo and then sign into the computer to see what the email situation is. I worked on those until 4.45 am then went to get some breakfast and take the meds including the non-smoker despite the fact I had a cigarette to help time the gap between tablets and food intake this morning. At least it’s an hour and a half since I got up before having one instead of the usual minute and a half.

Coming back from breakfast I was distracted and did my second blogpost of the week on the Buthidars  a reminder to myself that there was nothing to be proud of yesterday and today would be better. I turned back to addressing the mail until clear at 5.55 am.Then time to wash my mug up. By the time I meandered back and had a look at ebay , my new mail was in with the flood tide. I got stuck in and managed to empty the box at 9.11 am which was a perfect time to go to Pauline’s for bread and my TV mag and then come back and hoover the lounge.On my way back I met a neighbour on her way to collect her pension. I gave her an unexpected hug which she thought was lovely. Mission accomplished and I could go home and hoover before releasing Joey.  At home,I unpacked and put away the bread and chips with curry sauce I seemed to have acquired.                                                                                     After hoovering I replaced Joey’s seed and water then opened his door.. He was reluctant to come out as I was leaving the room to come back to work for a while but at least he had the freedom of choice. I’d be back in there for my House programme at 10.00 am anyway.

When I returned to the lounge Joey came out and started tap tapping on the mirror as usual. I so wish I’d learned morse code when I was with the Boy Scouts. Eventually when the brain damage was beyond repair he stopped tapping and started talking to me. Of course all I could understand was Joey, Joey, Joey as that’s all he’s bothered to learn in 6 or so months. As the music came on for Homes Under the Hammer the volume from Joey increased until finally he sounded like he was telling me off again During the programme itself he sat on the edge of the mirror quietly chunnering to himself for a while then flew back into his cage and did the same in there. I was almost glad when 11.00 am came and I could escape for a while.                                                                                                                                                                                                                                             Eventually lunchtime came and I had to return to the kitchen. First job was to take the pre-foodie tablets and lay out the post-foodies so they’re not forgotten. Then I did one of my chips in curry sauce and watched Bargain Hunt while I ate. Instead of my usual sleep at .00 pm I went back to my room for a while to send an email I needed to go to say thank you for a card I received. I decided to clear up and new messages while I was here then retreated to the lounge for Father Brown at 2.15 pm. It’s very bad really as I don’t even like the programme very much.

I had a return to the mail at 3.00 pm but there wasn’t much so I filled three of my small bottles of pepsi from a big one so they can go in the fridge to get cold. The fridge would be full if I put one big bottle in there. Longstanding readers of this blog may remember the new fridge that was bought not being very roomy, only to find out there was nothing wrong with the old fridge other than there was no power getting to it thanks to a switch we knew nothing about. The old fridge had been left outside for collection and gone far away before I found out. I went to sit with Joey until 4.30 pm and the Antiques Road Trip. Before it even began I saw Dil approach and had to nip into the kitchen to put his drink on.                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                       We had a natter about our respective weeks (so far) and both seem to be going well. I mentioned having a text from our cousin about coming down for a day when he retires in the Summer. He hoped I’d suggested an entrance fee of Titterton’s Pork Pies but since he’s moved I’m not sure Pete lives in the vicinity of any of their shops. If he did they wouldn’t have much stock left anyway. The whole of my family in this generation ( and a few of the next) are addicted to their pies.

We watched our usual programmes and then at 6.00 pm the TV went off and out came the games table. First off was the Yahtzee and in the first game I was hammered 4-2. I was ready to give up in despair onthe second game but the sixes on the dice suddenly decided to favour me in 3 games to two Yahtzees. I also won the last by the skin of my teeth so won 4-2 over all which meant we were even.                                                                                                                                                                                                                                            The Trivial pursuits came next and at first it was fairly even until Dil put on a little burst of genius whenever he landed on a scoring space. Obscure answers were just dripping from his tongue. He filled his ‘pie’ first and reached the middle while I only had 4 of my 6 pieces. He answered the question I chose (Drat) and came out the winner. As it was still a little early we had time for two games of cribbage. I finally came into my own and beat him 2-0. It was time for him to go. Saying he’d see me next week I thanked him for coming and told him to be careful.

I tidied up, washed the pots, took my meds and came through to work. 50 emails again. I decided to work on them first and deal with the blog last. I’ll still be in bed for midnight though.

40 winks in comfort.

40 winks in comfort.

Thursday 21st Jan.

I was abed for midnight as promised and though I read it was for just half an hour so at 12.30 am off went the light. Sleep wasn’t slow in coming so I was pretty sure the small gods had lost interest in me for a while. That is until I was woken again at 1.07 am. I decided to box clever by pretending to get up and go to the loo. Instead I bypassed the loo and went straight to my chair in the lounge. Next thing I know it’s 3.53 am and I can cope with that. As I wandered back to the bedroom via the loo,I hoped the small gods thought I’d been in the loo the whole time and waited.                                                                                                                                                                                                      I signed onto the computer and attacked my gmail. For some reason this last few days I’ve been gaining new followers. This morning  was no different.At one time I would have automatically followed back but now I’m having to look at the blog to see if it’s an interest of mine. Much as I like art I won’t follow just art blogs or just poem blogs any more, blogs have to be more rounded to interest me.

At 4.45 am I took a break and headed for the kitchen to take my meds and to have breakfast. I returned at about 5.10 am and started work again. By 5.55 am I’d cleared the box,it was just a case of waiting for the deluge now. I went to my online bank to see if there was any change to the money going in, hoping maybe my state pension had been calculated, but nothing had changed. I wonder how long it’s going to take them. It my well affect other benefits I get so I could end up with a bill if there is an increase backdated to this week.                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                 When the deluge came I was ready for it and had cleared the box again by 8.40 am. I got dressed. I thought that was preferable to walking to the chemist’s in my lounge pants, Simpson’s teeshirt and big bunny rabbit slippers. At 9.00 am I left to go to see where my drugs are from the prescription I handed in on Monday. I was told there had been an item short which had to be ordered. It had arrived and my drugs were on the van for delivery. I left and made my way to Pauline’s to buy the winning Lotto ticket. I’m told it’s rolled over again so Saturday’s jackpot should be quite good. The thing is, it’s the Winning Euro lottery ticket I want.That was on £68m before this latest rollover. Coming out of Pauline’s I was about to cross the road when I saw Dawn in her van approaching. I waited on the kerb and she pulled up and brought my drugs out to me as well as the book to sign. I thanked her and left for home.

Once I was in I went to see to Joey.It was such a grey day he was reluctant to leave his cage without me putting a light on. I hoped it would lighten up a bit outside but it didn’t and started raining later anyway. Back to work for a while and then it was time for Homes Under the Hammer which at least encouraged Joey to come out even if it was just to squawk as hard and as loud as he could. I was back at work at 11.00 am but for just half an hour when I went to peel my sweet potatoes while my sausages cooked and then I put them in the microwave to cook. I got a tin of beans out to cook too. It was a delightful dinner.                                                                                                                After lunch I shot daggers in Joey’s direction as he settled for his nap and I had to come back to work. I was as good as gold and stayed until dragged out to try a new  Antiques gameshow which I probably won’t repeat. I returned to the fray until 4.20 pm then until the genuine Antiques programme could draw me away again. I gave way to my viewing then 2 quizzes, 1 train ride, 1 Celebrity Antiques Road Trip, 1 fascinating programme about the death of the Princes in the Tower and whether their uncle was the monster he was made out to be. It was 9.00 pm and I was going to go to bed honestly but it was Joey’s fault I couldn’t. He decided it was time to come out and play just at the wrong time. I turned the TV back on and ended up watching Death in Paradise with the new cast. Joey went back in after about ten minutes and I locked the cage but by then I’d already started watching and couldn’t give up.

Mike had texted me about 8.30 pm to say he was on his way. That meant somewhere after 10.30 pm he’d arrive. As I went to the bedroom at 10.00 pm I put the outside light on for him and readied his cup by the kettle. I was part way into the big catch up when he arrived at 10.45 pm and we spent some time catching up as I was trying to work so anyone who gets gobbldegook now knows why, my attention was diverted elsewhere.

Just one more pirouette then.

Just one more pirouette then.

If he tells that story one more time....

If he tells that story one more time……. I’m bored Rigid.

Friday 22nd Jan.

It was late to bed last night but I still only read until 1.00 am.  I had tremendous difficulty getting to sleep and for a lot of the time I just lay there thinking. I’m under the impression I spent most of the night like that but I can’t be sure. I did eventually get up at 5.03 am  because on Fridays I prepare the weeks drug trays. I nipped to the Pee Palace and then (after washing my hands) went through to the kitchen. I couldn’t face breakfast so I took the non-smoking tab, had my sprays then took my meds for this morning. Once hey were out of the way I got my drug drawer and brought it through to the kitchen, filled the gaps from this weeks delivery and prepared all my drugs for the next week starting tonight.

I went to work on my mail and was doing quite well until the morning surge came at 6.10  am I had to step up the pace a bit then. At 7.00 am Mike’s alarm went off so I took a coffee through. I wasn’t sure whether to leave him or not as he was only getting up at that time for my sake. He’d offered to take me to the surgery and then carry on to see his Dad and his sister in Manchester. His alarm went off four times and was ignored each time. I thought I could just go out and catch the bus but I was worried that he wouldn’t get up in time to reach Manchester for a meeting. I went through to say his coffee was cold now and that was enough motivation for him to move.                                   We got to the surgery in time for me to sign in with three minutes to spare for 8.30  am.

The nurse was lovely as always. She was pleased with my non-smoking progress and very pleased with my blood pressure.  She did me a prescription for more of the 1mg tablets of the Champix then I asked her a question about a powder I used to get to sprinkle on wounds which was excellent stuff. She knew what I spoke of but said it’s n longer available and there was a new treatment for open wounds. She wanted to know why I was asking which led to me being given anti-biotics for the cellulitis flare-up in my left leg and also led to me having to visit the minor injuries room at the hospital.                                                                                                                                                                                       At the hospital the nurse applied the largest sticking plaster I’ve ever seen and told me to go back next Tuesday to have it checked. I won’t be going on Tuesday which is my Chester day, and anyway, I want to put off the evil day when I lose the last of my hairs from that leg.                                                                                                                                          Coming home from the hospital I didn’t have long to wait for a bus but when I got off it was quite a walk to the chemist’s only to be told he hadn’t arrived and my drugs would be delivered later.  I ‘m guessing that’s true and will wait in.

Joey was in fine form when I got in. He was tearing a shred off me for having the temerity to be out when he wanted out of his cage. His little head was bobbing up and down in anger and his screech was loud but at least worse than his bite I hoped. Speaking calmly to him I opened the cage door . “Come on you ungrateful little green wretch”I said in the most loving voice possible. But, he stayed where he was, turned his back on me and started chomping on his millet. I had to work almost till lunchtime but took a chance and walked to the chippy hoping the chemist’s van hadn’t been while I was out. Sausage, chips, peas and gravy I had. Better than having to nuke something. I had Bargain Hunt on while I ate  and at the end of it, instead of indulging in my nap I came back to work. I went back through to the lounge about 2.15 pm and was there when Mike tapped on the window at 3.30 pm because he didn’t have his key. He felt his trip today had been a waste of time and had come back early. Oops, five more minutes and I’d have been snoring. We watched the new antiques programme then I came back to work until 4.30 pm when the Road Trip was on.

The chemist made the delivery and I was able to start the antibiotics. In the break between our programmes I made some tea which in my case was one ham bap and some pineapple chunks. All this fruit must be making me healthy now. At 6.30 pm after Eggheads I went for my shower with Mike washing my hair again to stop me putting my arms above my head When I came out it was great timing for the Road Trip with Celebrities. It was good fun tonight, Then came Mastermind during which Mike asked me if I was going to doze, then promptly did. Last week we started a new serial at 9.00 pm which seemed to have promise. This week the second episode threw our theories into chaos.                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                        At 10.00 pm I called it a day and came through to work. There was plenty to keep me going between emails and the blog. I’m still aiming for midnight though…..and a lie-in tomorrow.

Just call me Nanook of the North.

Just call me Nanook of the North.

I'm not as drink as you thunk I am.

I’m not as drink as you thunk I am.

Saturday 23rd Jan.

I made my target last night and after applying cream to my legs I was in bed for midnight. I only read until 12.45 am as I was tired having lost the chance of my power nap during the day. Despite the tiredness, sleep didn’t come too easily. Being awake came much more easily, though at 2.23 am I wasn’t as pleased as I could be. I went to the loo then came back and signed onto the computer. My gmail was the ultimate target but I was surprised for a change to find just 42 messages waiting for me. I was clear of those at 4.05 am. After that it was either trying to go back to sleep without sleeping later than I wanted or doing a search on Ebay. The search just confirmed what I suspected, I’d never be able to afford Joe Brown’s  clothes without a lottery win. Despite that I would be putting on 2  items of clothing from Joe Brown’s range this morning thanks to my daughter. With a paisley shirt I should look as I did in the 60’s, set off with  plain waistcoat I should be even better than I did then especially as the plain waistcoat is not made of sheepskin or goatskin that reeked in the rain.

My trousers during the early part of the 70’s were good as I lived in Hackney at the time and my girlfriend’s mother sewed trousers for Carnaby Street. I’ll never know how she managed as she had crippling arthritis that affected her hands. I never saw anything as bad until I saw my mother-in-law’s hands with the fingers gnarled and knobbly like claws. Julia’s hands were just starting on a journey in that direction. I don’t know if there’s anything they could have done for her had she lived. Anyway, back to the trousers, I had velvet flares in two or three colours and felt the bee’s knees.                                                                                                                                                                                                     I got dressed and wandered off to the kitchen for breakfast and my usual meds. I’d have to wait until 6.00 am for my antibiotic as it can’t be taken on a full stomach. A nearly 2 hour gap should do it. It was either that or taking the antibiotic and coming back an hour or so later for everything else. Better to just delay the one I thought. Breakfast over I returned with my coffee to the bedroom. There were just 3 messages to deal with so I got quite a bit of time on ebay.

At 6.10 am just before trouble hit I went to take my antibiotic. As I went past Mike’s room I heard the alarm go off so I put the kettle on and prepared his mug. As soon as it boiled I made a coffee and took it through. Knowing my mail would be in now I returned to the bedroom again and made a start. Th alarm went off three times more before Mike surfaced. Once he was in the lounge I went to wish him good morning and found him chomping a jam sandwich to take his own antibiotic with. I offered him sunglasses to help him cope with my shirt but he just suggested I didn’t get too close, about a mile should do it.                                                                                                                            We left the house a bit later this morning but still got to the supermarket in good time, at about 7.55 am. As usual I hit the cash machine while Mike got a trolley. I didn’t think Ju’s flowers had weathered well this week so I bought two bunches again. Getting round the shop didn’t take too long today as I didn’t want much in the food line other than basics so we were soon in the queue for paying. Mike complained that the lady on the till hadn’t scared me enough to make my heart start, the bill should always be over £50.00. I just beat it today and my heart started anyway the minute I opened my wallet and had to part with money. We settled down in the cafe for a drink.

Next stop Flint. We pulled up outside Temptations but I needed to shop first. The supermarket hadn’t had a good choice of chocolates so I needed some for the girls and I also needed some more seed bells for Joey. I got a couple of other little items then we decided to make our way to Temptations for a drink. I enjoyed a cigarette on the walk but on the plus side, I didn’t buy any today. Kyle served us and said thanks for the chocolates on behalf of everyone. Mike decided on crumpets today so Kyle put them under the grill while he did our drinks. I nipped to the loo then came back to refill.                                                                                                                                                                          When we’d finished there I walked over to the car parts place as Mike said he wanted some windscreen wash but refused to buy the ready diluted. He joined me and went in to buy a big bottle of the undiluted type. We did one more shop there then decided we’d better consider lunch and I’d better take my next antibiotic. After some discussion we decided to go to The Dragon for lunch. We took a drive out there only to find it closed and with no notices around it. The next nearest place was Misty Waters so we started heading back towards home. Would you Adam and Eve it! That was closed too.                                                                                                                                                                            We’d passed a pub called the Halfway House when going towards The Dragon and that had the open sign outside so we decided to go there. We used to go a lot a long time ago but found the staff not very friendly. It’s changed hands since then. The menu looked OK but it was expensive for what it was. I ordered a local sausages with mash and onion gravy. The sausages were very fatty I found though the taste wasn’t bad. The mash was bland which was a shame as I love mash and the onion gravy was onion- and gravy. The onions appeared to have been shaved into the tiniest pieces of string and then deep fried. Tasty but not enough of them. Mike wasn’t too impressed with his basic burger either. Such a shame as they seemed a really nice family. Not one to repeat in a hurry.

We came home. It was lucky I’d asked Mike when his team were playing and he said Monday but checked , just as well as they were on this afternoon. That meant he’d want to see the game on his tablet and I could work. So, once the shopping was unpacked and the budgie placated Mike settled in his chair and I made a break for my bedroom. There was such a lot to do with so many emails so I started at 2.30 pm and finished at 6.00 pm, or at least took a break. The game was over, his team had lost. I knew that as I hadn’t been deafened by cheering. I took my next tab then we watched Pointless celebrity. Then I made some tea and we settled to watch a film that finished at 9.00 pm. Mike wanted to watch something he’s missed in the week so he went to select the repeat. By the time he’d done it was 9.15 pm and he found he’s seen it. I just gave up and came back to work again.

Poor very miserable Spotty Muldoon.

Poor very miserable Spotty Muldoon.




Filed under Uncategorized

85 responses to “The Quiet Birthday & The Leg Sized Plaster.

  1. So sad… now an Eagle flies with Major Tom on his last call.
    Dear David, I had thought the pictures (with Reuben stealing the show) were as cute as they could possibly be… then came little sister. 🙂 ❤
    Thanks for letting us share another week with you, my friend. Mega hugs!

  2. So Joey learned how to say his name! That’s pretty good–not Rhodes Scholar level, but good for a budgie, right? Glad you’re trying to quit smoking. Adorable photos of the kids, as always.

    • He’s actually been saying his name for a while but stubbornly refuses to learn anything more despite something always accompanying his name like Best, best boy or Rotten Ratbag.
      I must try harder with the not smoking today!
      Thank you.I love having the photos to play with.
      xxx Gigantic Hugs xxx

  3. It sounds a super birthday…and you were cunning enough to get a pair of young lungs to deal with those candles.

    • It was a really nice family gathering Helen. I was going to get the extra lungs whether I wanted them or not, but they did come in handy as it happened.
      Thanks so much for popping in.
      xxx Massive Hugs xxx

  4. Not such a quiet birthday celebration, David – family and friends and good food, great cake, Joe Brown’s clothing items one would otherwise find hard to afford, one candle to confuse the math and all fine and dandy. Can’t ask for much more I think but expecting that lottery win surely makes life glide along the edge of wonders and wonderful imagination. Have a great week and sending you many huge hugs 😀

    • The celebration wasn’t so quiet Ina but luckily for me, the actual birthday on Monday was.Thoughts of a big lottery win may sound greedy at a time like this but I promise I was thinking of the people around me when it came to spending. My imagination knows no bounds where spending is involved.
      I’m setting off on what I hope will be a fantastic week for both of us so I hope you enjoy every minute.
      xxx Mammoth Hugs xxx

      • I thought two days + running celebrations might have been a bit over the top for you 🙂 so, having remembered you mentioned your birthday in a comments from a couple of weeks ago I think I did “cotton” on to your boasting of having a quiet birth-day, David 😀 by the way am following you progress in the non-smoking department and sending positive vibes often 🙂

      • You really wouldn’t have thought there was any progress with non smoking yesterday, I expected hiccups though so am not downhearted. I’ll just have to try harder today.
        Thanks so much for the good vibes.
        xxx Hugs Galore xxx

      • Progress comes in all shapes and sizes and sometimes it’s regression but we still call it progress :)))))) XXXXX

  5. Well I am so pleased you had such a lovely birthday celebration, I am also very very proud of you for doing so well quiting smoking. Keep it up!! All in all it sounds like a very nice week, on the quiet side but thats ok, Joey is Joey and he is a real character. What’s wrong with Reuben’s back, what are those spots, an allergy? Poor little guy. I enjoyed everything as always, have a wonderful week and see you same time next week. Mega massive hugs.

    • I think you’d be less proud of me with the smoking this weekend though in fairness it was still only on packet yesterday. I shall try and cut back again today. I did have a nice week though thanks.
      Yes, Joey is a character, has to be seen to be believed.
      Poor Roobs has chicken pox which is why I’m standing way back over here in case you haven’t had them.
      xxx Sending Hugs Galore xxx

  6. Happy Birthday, David! What sweet baby pictures! So glad you had a good celebration! Thanks for sharing your week with us! Happy Sunday! Elizabeth (aka Chryssa)

    • Thanks so much Elizabeth, I’m glad you liked the pictures. Yes, I had a great family celebration and it was a pleasure to be able to share the week with my friends. I’m grateful to you for popping in and sharing your company.
      xxx Mega Hugs xxx

  7. Congratulations on the smoking! I hope to read about an improvement every week now. :p

  8. Looking good for an old fella David – glad you made it and the family was there to celebrate along with you. That beautiful baby sis is growing already – gosh it doesn’t take any time now does it? She’ll be crawling, walking, kindergarten and then married before you can turn around! I hope this year will be a fabulous one David and bring all manner of blessings into your life xoxo

    • Why thank you Pauline.Maybe being 65 agrees with me.It was a birthday treat to have the family at a real get together.
      It’s funny, now it feels like Amelie has been around for ages and yet it’s not even a month yet. But time does have a habit of flying so you’re right she’ll soon be crawling etc.
      Thank you. I hope this year will be wonderful for you too and brings lots of dreams come true.
      xxx Gigantic Hugs xxx

  9. Poor Reuben! The worst thing any of mine had was the chicken pox, and two of them had it so bad I remember the eldest being in tears for them. It’s horrid. Hope it didn’t get any worse than what the photo shows.

  10. The pictures of the kids are gorgeous. Good luck with it all!

  11. It sounds like you had a lovely birthday and celebration with so many people who care about you! Great photos of both the little ones. Poor Reuben with the chicken pox. I remember when my kids had it–lots of oatmeal baths. It’s not so common now with the vaccine. I hope the baby doesn’t get it (it’s usually two weeks after the first case). Hope your leg is feeling better, too.
    Do you have a photo of your Carnaby Street pants?

    Hope you have a wonderful week! Lots of hugs!

    • It was a wonderful birthday thnks Merril. I hope he baby doesn’t get it too but I don’t know how it can be avoided because of his contact before they knew Reuben had it. My great nephew was at my party too and he’s just 6 months old is likely to get it and another at 3 years old who played with Reuben.
      The leg is on a downward spiral for some reason. I’ll have to cream it more often to see if it helps.
      Alas (or thank heavens) most of my photographs from that far back have been mislaid over the years.
      Have a Fantastic week,
      xxx Gigantic Hugs xxx

  12. The birthday sounds good and Reuben looks so pleased with himself for helping with the candles. I hope your leg will get better soon. Gorgeous pics. I’m going to check your Buthidar posts. I never get notifications for those…

    • You’re right, Reuben was so proud of himself for helping his Pops with the candles. He wanted them lit a second time.
      I suppose the leg will get better with the antibiotics again, it’s just a nuisance the constant itching.
      Thanks for checking the Buthidar posts, I hope you enjoy them.I’m surprised you don’t get notifications if you follow them.
      xxx Sending Ginormous Hugs xxx

  13. These are lovely pictures except those poor rashes which must make the little darling uncomfortable. Now that cake looks yummy and 40 winks is pure bliss to look at. I tend to agree with you. A well rounded blog is far more interesting than one that focuses on just one angle.

    • I’m told he’s in constant discomfort from the spots. I can’t remember that far back to say how I felt, I think I only remember itching. I was about 6 or 7 though not just 2. The cake was certainly yummy, so said everyone. I’m more for 40 winks than cake though these days.
      I’m not trying to insult single topic blogs which can be both interesting and educational, they appeal to a lot of people into those subjects but I think most people prefer the human angle and a variety of subjects.
      xxx Massive Hugs Jacqueline xxx

  14. sounds like you had a lovely birthday meal with the family, David. You can’t go wrong with a carvery. That cake looked good too! Loved the photos of little Reuben and Amelie. She is growing so quickly by the look of it. It was so sad about Glenn Frey too. Another one gone way too soon. Keep up the good work with the smoking (or should I say not smoking)! Have a lovely week. Huge hugs xxxxxx

    • It was a lovely meal, we’ve never gone wrong there yet. What I saw of the cake before it was blown out and sliced up looked great, just as well I ave the picture.
      Amelie still seems so tiny to me but I daresay that won’t last long if she’s like her brother.
      It was sad about Glenn Frey, there seem to have been so many just recently and none of them old.
      I’ll keep trying….
      Have a fantastic week
      xxx Massive Hugs xxx

  15. Birthday looks grand David. And the anti smoking seem to be working which must be encouraging.

  16. Your birthday sounded splendid to me, David. I felt moved seeing Reuben help you blow the candles out but I’m such a girl 🙂 I hope Reuben is well soon. Chicken Pox is miserable. Your choice of music especially Turn, Turn, Turn was excellent as always. Wishing you many happy days forward. Hugs and Smiles, Laine

    • It was a lovely day thanks Laine, beautiful to have the family together. I’m the patriarch these days. Roobs wouldn’t miss an opportunity to help out even if we’d said No, I had to laugh though I’m glad the scene moved you. Yes chicken pox is awful, I just hope it’s over soon and that Amelie doesn’t get it.
      So glad you liked the music. I know much is the 60’s and much the 80’s but I do try to find something for everyone. The Byrds are a favourite of mine.
      Have a wonderful week,
      xxx Stupendous Hugs xxx

  17. How smartly dressed were you? Handsome man.
    Eloise, can never resist it. Superb.
    No, or less smoking? You’ll be giving up sausages next (do you eat anything else?)

    • I’m not sure you were looking at the same picture as me or even on the same blog but thanks anyway.
      I agree, that was a great record. I used to wonder how it went from Marion Ryan to Paul and Barry Ryan to that because his voice was good.
      I’m smoking about a third of what I was but need to get down to nil.
      I give up sausages every time someone sticks a Titterton’s Pork Pie in front of me…….unless it’s a Titterton’s Pork Sausage.
      xxx Massive Hugs Kate xxx

  18. It looks like you had a nice birthday party and a little one to help with the candles. Congrats on cutting back on the smokes, by the way. It does get easier with time. My boys came down with the chicken pox over Christmas one year. At least they got it over with together. Have a fantastic week ahead. Grandbaby hugs make everything better. 🙂

    • It was a lovely party thanks Mary J. Reuben’s help with my candles saved me a lot of puff. The cut back goes on and I’m down to a third but need to drop to nothing somehow.
      I think Roobs would be getting over Chicken pox better if he was a bit older like 7 or 8 but at this age he can’t understand the problems of hurt and scratch.
      I’ll see my grandbabies on Tuesday. Hugs all round then.
      Have a fantastic week,
      xxx Massive Hugs xxx

  19. Ali Isaac

    Well, a very belated happy birthday to you, David! Looks like you had a fabulous day. And you’re looking great for your age, wearing well as they say! Beautiful pictures of the wee ones, Amelie is so pretty, and Reuben is already breaking hearts. Your daughter and Ugo make beautiful kids! How is she doing, btw? All the best to you, David! 😊

    • Thank you Ali, yes I had a fabulous time with the family around. I missed my chance to have a family photo done though. As for looking good for my age, how can you tell under that beard? I wasn’t even sure it was me at first. The kids do make nice photos thanks though maybe Amelie needs a year or so to develop her face.
      Yvonne is doing fine thanks. Moving much better and nor as in pain. We’re hoping to meet in town tomorrow and go shopping for Amelie. That could mean a cooked breakfast and lots of walking.
      xxx Gigantic Hugs xxx

  20. A perfect post to play the theme music “Turn Turn Turn,” David. To every thing there is a season, and nothing proves it like another beautiful grandbaby…and a grandson helping you blow out birthday candles.
    You look downright dapper, David, all dressed up, and the cane is just an accessory. Have a great week, and I send you Massive Hugs from Colorado! ❤

    • Thanks so much Marylin. I suppose that was an appropriate song to introduce Amelie but of course we’d already met her. We hadn’t seen my grandson appoint himself chief candle blower before though. He saved my lungs some work but I’m glad there were just 2 and not the fire hazard 65.
      I think I should have been all dressed up for the occasion but my own birthday didn’t seem right this time.( I did on my 60th).
      xxx Ginormous Hugs back to Colorado xxx

  21. I’m glad there was an adequate celebration for your birthday and thanks for the lovely music and pictures. Such a treat. Wishing you all the Best from the beautiful South to the wonderful North!
    Mega Birthday Hugs!

  22. Velvet flares :sigh: ❤
    Hugs from East to West lol

  23. Happiest of happy birthday hugs to you, David!
    Hope the kids are well. All my siblings had chicken pox.
    Yet somehow, chicken pox never got me! 🙂 ♥ ❤

  24. David, Happy Birthday!! I hope it was a lovely day, just as I hope all your days are lovely. 🙂
    Oh Roobs, poor little mite, that looks uncomfortable. Hope he feels better very every soon. Amelie is looking more and more adorable, especially rockin’ the little lamb look. She’s a beauty. 🙂
    Joey seems to be keeping you hopping. 😉
    Thank you so much for sharing your week and your birthday with us, dear David, hope this week treats you kindly. 🙂
    Massive birthday hugs!!! xox

    • Thank you Donna, how can my days be anything but lovely when I have friends like you around me.It was a lovely day though.
      Roobs is suffering and I hope it will be over soon too, I think it’s better to get it when they’re a bit older of school age. Amelie is still a sweetie for me. I wonder when my look will change.
      Joey always has me on the hop.
      I’m grateful to you for coming to share my rambling .
      May your week be as nice as I hope mine will be, and as lucky.
      xxx Humongous Hugs xxx

  25. It sounds like you had a lovely birthday celebration with plenty of help blowing out the candles. Keep up the good work with quiting smoking. That’s huge! Thank for all the beautiful pictures. I hope Reuben’s chicken pox clears up quickly and the baby doesn’t come down with them. Have a wonderful week. Until next time, massive hugs.

    • I did have a lovely time thanks and my puff wasn’t even needed for the candles. At the moment the smoking has reached a plateau and isn’t budging but it’s still only a third of what it was.
      Glad you enjoyed the pictures. I’m sure Roobs must be nearing the end of the pox now and baby is showing no signs (fingers crossed).
      Wishing you a fantastic week
      xxx Hugs Galore xxx

  26. Oh chicken pox.. I’ve missed a blissful moment of my life because of that.. Hope it didn’t as for his case.. Hugs and hugs.. 🙂

  27. Ooh. The cake looked yummy. Very proud of Reuben, I think I would have just started eating it. 🙂 Happy Birthday. That would be so cool if you taught Joey Morse Code. You guys could have a lot of fun. Having to learn it first would suck, though. 🙂 Take care of the leg. Glad to hear that Reuben is getting over the chicken pox, they are not fun. Have another wonderful week. Hugs.

    • Hi Maggie, I’m pretty sure Reuben stood in front of me to blow the candles out so he could claim to be first in the queue.I know I was last. Teaching Joey Morse code would just be giving him another way to insult me really. So far he’s mastered back turning, screeching and dive bombing.
      I’m hoping the latest dressing will come off the leg on Saturday.
      I was told yesterday that Reuben’s spots have all but dried up and he’s smiling again.
      Thank you. I hope you have a Wonderful Weekend
      xxx Hugs Galore xxx

  28. I wonder if you purposely added songs that deal with “TIME” as you relate your birthday celebrations. And then the song ENDLESSLY, Hmmmm. Freudian slip, as they say? 65 is the beginning of a great beginning. 65 is still a youngster. And now that you’re doing so well with smoking less and less, 65 is the new 45.
    Besides all that, your two adorable grandkids will keep you young!! xoxoxlotsofnewenglandlovexoxoxox

    • Purely coincidental (cough).I could do with 65 being the new 45 except these beggars would probably pinch my pension back.I wish I could remember what I did at 45 maybe that would help.
      I think the grandkids are designed to test out my components but they never carry spares. It’s as well Roobs brought his lungs to the party to blow out the candles.
      Have a wonderful weekend
      xxx Hugs Galore xxx

  29. The pictures of the children were darling. I especially liked the ones of the baby in the ballet outfit and stance and in the bear outfit. That looks like a bath towel I had for mine with a corner made into a hood. Mine wasn’t fancy, though. It’s too bad Reuben gets those rashes. Glad your birthday was enjoyable. It seems your leg is on the way to healing. I hope Mike is feeling better. As always, thanks for the music. Have a great week to come. Hugs Galore. 🙂 — Suzanne

    • Thanks Suzanne, those are two great pictures. The teddy bear is actually a padded all in one for outside though I’m pretty sure she has one like you describe, as a towel.
      That’s chicken pox rashes poor Roobs has got but they’re drying up fast now. The leg is healing thank you, the antibiotics seem to be working so much better this time, whether it’s because it’s my left leg and not the one it usually hits I don’t know. My shin will heal as soon as the leg does as I won’t need to scratch much any more.
      I’m glad you enjoyed the music. Have a fantastic Weekend
      xxx Massive Hugs xxx #:-)

  30. It looks like you had a grand time at your birthday party. Love the pics of the kids especially little Amelie in her little tutu – darling! I hope Rueben gets rid of the chicken pox soon they cause such misery, poor thing. Have a great weekend!

    • I had a lovely time with the family Stephanae.Amelie did look swish in her tutu, I love writing all the little comments. Roobs is very much better now and the spots are drying up. He even wanted the beach today and it’s freezing.
      Thank you, I hope you have a Wonderful Weekend.
      xxx Massive Hugs xxx

      • The comments were great! I particularly liked the one where Amelie is looking bored at Rueben’s story, I got a chuckle out of that one. Glad to hear that he’s feeling better. Take care. ❤

  31. Happy Birthday wishes, late but extending them all through the year too 🙂 Lovely pics… I’m just catching up and am delighted to see them.

    • Late or not they’re very welcome , thank you. I’m glad you’re enjoying the pics and maybe the music too is bringing back memories.
      I hope 2016 will be magnificent for you.
      xxx Hugs Galore xxx

  32. Love all your family photos, David!
    xxx Huge Hugs xxx

  33. Happy, happy birthday, David. You have reached quite a milestone and have many who love you to celebrate with, including the little ones. I notice you have quite a large band of followers here. Not surprising, as you spread love and goodwill everywhere! The photos are wonderful too.

    • Thanks so much Marian. Yes, it was a lovely little celebrationwith my daughter, her husband and the children of course with my brother, a nephew a couple of nieces and a great nephew.
      You know, I have no idea how many followers there are but I think I was told it’s North of the 1000 mark. I think I’ve just been going long enough to get lucky.Oddly enough, my official Hugs site which is the Buthidars has very few in comparison.
      So glad you like the photographs. Blame Yvonne, she takes them all.
      xxx Hugs Galore xxx

Leave a Reply

Fill in your details below or click an icon to log in: Logo

You are commenting using your account. Log Out /  Change )

Google photo

You are commenting using your Google account. Log Out /  Change )

Twitter picture

You are commenting using your Twitter account. Log Out /  Change )

Facebook photo

You are commenting using your Facebook account. Log Out /  Change )

Connecting to %s

This site uses Akismet to reduce spam. Learn how your comment data is processed.